Thursday, December 29, 2011

the last time i blogged...

...was a long time ago. I promise to stop taking these sabbaticals from the blogging world but life is just too darn busy when you have absolutely nothing to do. I’m speaking of Christmas break of course. Christmas has come and gone already and I don’t even know what I’ve done. It’s like those times when you drive from one location to the next and you don’t remember how you got from point A to point B. It’s totally freaky. Let’s see though…if I brainstorm hard enough I might be able to figure out what in the world I’ve been doing for 2 weeks. Okay. Got it:

movies, eating, gift exchanges, family parties, baking, eating, jazz games, sleeping, NOT going to the gym, eating, reading, missionary phone calls, music, eating, errands, shopping, laughing, laughing, and more laughing.

Whew, I haven’t brainstormed in a while. That was tiring. I must say though, Christmas break is quite simply, the best.





As the latter half of the break is going by much too quickly and we are approaching the New Year, a few thoughts come to mind:

1. Well it’s about time! For some reason I skipped a year in my mind and have been writing “2012” on my papers for the past 12 months. I can’t wait for my dates to finally be correct!

2. I disagree with New Year’s resolutions. In my mind, it’s just procrastinating making a change. If I’m going to change something or make a goal, why not do it now instead of waiting for the New Year?

3. I think the New Year’s holiday is, for lack of a better word, silly. I’m sorry to all those gung-ho fans of the New Year, but that’s how I feel. Let me explain:

We never really got into said holiday in my family. Back when I was a little girl, I wasn’t even really aware of New Year’s. I remember when I was 10 spending December 31st with my new step siblings. As midnight was approaching, one of them asked “do we have any fireworks?” and another chimed in, “or how about pots and pans for banging at midnight?” WHAT? I was so confused. Despite my skepticism I found myself out on the deck at midnight hitting 2 frying pans together with a muddled expression on my face. The bewildered feeling I had that night has sort of stayed with me ever since. BUT because I’m a good sport, I will participate in games, drinking Martinelli’s from plastic Champaign cups, and countdowns, with a smile on my face—all the while believing, in my mind, that December 31st is just another night…

2 comments:

  1. so glad to know i'm note the only one who thinks new years is silly. and new years kisses? lets not even talk about how lame i think that is. i have successfully avoided one every single year.

    ReplyDelete