Saturday, November 3, 2012

my new home


Well, I’ve officially been in New York for 50 days. Can you believe it? 50 days!!! Sometimes it is pretty hard to believe. Other times, well, it’s not. Some mornings I wake up and hardly notice the roaring of the train outside my window; other mornings, it scares the living day lights out of me. Sometimes I feel like I no longer look like a deer in headlights as I stroll the streets; other times I feel like I have a blinking sign above my head saying “spot the Utahn”. Sometimes I think I’ve gotten used to narrow lanes and crazy traffic; Other times I find my shoulders slowly shrinking in, mentally believing making myself smaller is also shrinking my car. Some days I feel confident and bold; other days I wonder what the heck I’ve gotten myself into! Most days however, I’ve found that I really do love this state.

I must say though, I can't think of 2 more different states than Utah and New York. In the 50 days that I’ve been here I’ve seen, heard, and experienced things I never did in Utah. For example, have you ever seen a black squirrel?? Well, I hadn’t. Out here, black squirrels are everywhere…creepy little things, by the way.

In New York there is a Dunkin Donuts on every corner. I have yet to try one of their notorious morsels of dough, but I hear they are pretty darn good.

Out here, it is not uncommon to be honked at literally every time I drive. And most the time I have no idea what for.

In New York, I am finding that people don’t know much about Utah. One lady asked me if it was near Florida…uhhhhh, sort of? Ha! Another man asked me if I had ever had a bagel or chinese food, because apparently Utahns don't have a variety of food in our dry state. One fellow asked what kind of bike I had because according to him, all Utahns bike. Some people haven’t even heard of Utah. Just yesterday I was stuck in traffic and watched as the lady across from me grimaced at my license plate and mouthed the word “Uuuuuttttaaaahhh” as though she had never read such a word in her life. She then looked up to see me behind the wheel, and I smiled happily, laughing to myself. She however looked like she wanted to give me the bird. How dare I be friendly.

Out here the cold is biting. Stepping outside on a cold morning is like dunking your face into a bucket full of ice water. Brrrrrr—and its not even winter yet. Gulp.

In New York, autumn is breathtaking. Reds, oranges, and yellows like you wouldn’t believe. And the amount of these colorful trees surrounding you 24/7 could leave you with the impression you are in the middle of a blazing fall fire. The colors are insane.

Out here, life is expensive: an arm and a leg for groceries, a foot and a hand for soda, and hey, you can have the rest of me for rent. 

New York is opening my eyes to a lot of things and so far, i feel blessed to be having this experience. If you haven't been to NY i highly recommend it. And i heard there is a pretty great newly-wed couple that would love to show you around ;)

And just in case you are interested...here is life lately, according to my iphone. 


Happy November everyone!! 

1 comment:

  1. haha I had the very same experience when we first moved out here. It's only been 3 months since we've been here, but we often forget that we live in New York - you'll get used to the fast life and fit right in! The one thing I am still having a hard time with is people not smiling back at me. haha

    ReplyDelete